Most of my nearest and dearest know that wheatgrass is my first love when it comes to nutrition. In our home its the signature elixir.
I’ve had a very long love affair with wheatgrass that started back in the days when I was living in Australia…..
The foundations of the Health College where I was studying were built on a story.
The Principles husband had once been diagnosed with bone cancer and the treatments he had tried hadn’t worked. At a last ditched attempt they started researching natural health and were very drawn to the healing properties in wheatgrass and its high levels of CHLOROPHYLL.
CHLOROPHYLL is the first product of light and therefore contains more healing properties than any other element. All life comes from the sun. Only green plants can transform the suns energy into CHLOROPHYLL through the process of PHOTOSYNTHESIS.
CHLOROPHYLL is known as the life blood of the plants. This important phytonutrient is what your cells need to heal and thrive.
So by drinking fresh wheatgrass juice daily and eating a plant based diet with lots of living foods…..he healed. This inspired them to open the Health Academy. He would often be seen bouncing around the campus or crashing lectures to tell really bad jokes. He radiated energy, the man was on fire. I was inspired.
Luckily wheatgrass wasn’t hard to find on the Gold Coast they seemed to sell it on nearly every street corner. If I’m honest my first few encounters with it weren’t for medicinal purposes but for a hangover cure! The fact that one ounce of wheatgrass is the equillivant to over 2lbs of fresh fruit and vegetables, was a blood cleanser and can restore energy levels sealed the deal for me. And as time went on regardless of a hangover most days I would be popping into a juice bar for a quick shot. It had become one of my staple tipples!
So, fast track a few years later, and THAT day when my healing journey begun I knew instinctively I had to get wheatgrass back in my life. It was time to bring in the big guns. It was my first port of call.
The problem was no one I knew had really heard of it.
My chances of finding those lush green blades of grass that seemed to grow in abundance in Australia seemed very slim. But where there’s a will there’s a way and with a bit of searching a few days later I found The Guarana Company Café. It was like entering a wheatgrass mecca!
There were customers propped up at the counter knocking back large shots, shiny glass cabinets adorned with books all about wheatgrass, and shelf’s stacked high with powdered wheatgrass. I was home! The owner John who I have to say is a super passionate man also told me that I could even have it frozen. Talk about spoilt for choice! But the best news was I could buy it fresh, organic and fresh, I was a very happy girl.
So lets get down to the nitty gritty and the real wonders of wheatgrass.
The list is endless but here are some of the most important.
- First of all its a liver cleanser. The liver processes what the body ingests and with its detoxifying properties, nutrients and enzymes wheatgrass is able to restore and revitalize the liver.
- Wheatgrass has the capacity to regenerate skin cells and is helpful for the complexion. Having a daily shot or applying the juice straight to the skin can get rid of acne, overcome dryness or eczema and treat discolouration.
- It helps prevent tooth decay and greying hair. Gargle a shot of wheatgrass juice in your mouth for a few minutes and it will draw out toxins and re-mineralise the teeth.
- Wheatgrass juice is an effective healer because it contains all minerals known to man, and vitamins A, B-complex, C, E and K. Its extremely rich in protein and contains 17 amino acids the building blocks of protein.
- Due to its potent detoxifying properties wheatgrass works well to keep the blood clean and oxygenated as well as the red blood cell count high. Cancer thrives in a low-oxygen environment so wheatgrass contributes to cancer prevention. It contains 70% CHLOROPHYLL, an important blood builder.
- Wheatgrass is a natural body deodorizer and with regular consumption the juice has a natural ability to wash toxins from the mouth, skin and body. No more stinky pits!
- Health experts believe wheatgrass is effective in treating arthritis. CHLOROPHYLL fights inflammation which is associated with joint pain.
- As winter is coming closer, steer clear of any lingering colds by taking a daily shot of wheatgrass. Its a great immunity boost and will keep your mind and body strong to stay sickness free and agile.
It also helps to reduce high blood pressure, improve digestion and is great for constipation because of its high levels of magnesium, removes heavy metals from the body and as I mentioned earlier one ounce of wheatgrass is equivalent to over 2lbs of fresh fruit and vegetables.
Some people freeze at the word wheat but don’t worry wheatgrass is the grass form of wheat before it is sprouted into a grain. Therefore wheatgrass does not contain gluten.
Wheatgrass is such a powerful cleanser it will kick start your health as soon as you start drinking it. It can make you slightly nauseous the first time you try it as it gets into the blood stream very quickly. That feeling is actually the beginning process of toxins being flushed and transported out of the body. So take it slowly, be gentle and maybe start with just a small amount and build up gradually. Listen to your body it will guide you.
For me fresh is best, and to juice fresh wheat grass you will need a masticating juicer. I use the Matstone, its one of the best investments I’ve ever made!
Powder is still a great way to consume wheatgrass and a lot less time consuming, just make sure its organic, it hasn’t been heat dried or had any fruit or sweeteners added. I recommend the Guarana Company or Organic Burst wheatgrass powders.
Wheatgrass has always been my first love, it gave me my first real insight into natural health and holds a special place in my heart. We’ve have a long history together, and I truly believe it played a huge part in my healing process.
So are you ready for it.
I hope so
Trust me your body will thank you.