I don’t know about you but the word detox does terrify me a bit, and the thought of going on one terrifies me even more!
These kind of plans may work for some people but I just get visions of a very miserable version of myself, hungry, very hungry!
I have dreamed of taking myself off to an exotic location to embark on a detox, being massaged with luxurious oils and drinking interesting concoctions in an infinity pool. It sounds very romatic but I know once the hunger kicked in I would probably escape in the middle of the night!
What I’ve learnt over the past few years is that our bodies are pretty amazing and are detoxifying all the time. Every day we are inhaling, absorbing and ingesting allergens, pathogens, chemicals and other toxins and the body has an incredible way of processing and eliminating all these nasties….until the process just cant keep up.
Hectic lifestyles, stress and poor diet choices can influence our ability to detoxify and when toxins build up we become unwell, and the chances are………If you feel lousy, its likely that your toxic!
Fortunately extreme measures are not necessary for you to bring your body into balance as mother nature has provided us with an abundance of things to naturally detox our systems. Here are some of my absolute favourites-
♥Epsom salt bath (magnesium sulphate)
A detox bath is one of the easiest healing therapies that can be done to facilitate and enhance the bodies natural detoxification process.
When you have a bath in Epsom salt, magnesium and sulphate are absorbed through the skin and because our skin is porous reverse osmosis takes place which means toxins and excess fluids are drawn out of the body so all the goodness can go in.
The minerals help muscles to relax, relieves joint pain and inflammation and has a sedative effect on the body which also relaxes the nervous system and can aid restful sleep. These baths are also used for the prevention of-
- Headaches and migraines
- Tummy bloating and water retention
- Stress related illnesses
Our magnesium levels have dropped by half in the last century due to changes in agriculture (industrial farming has depleted magnesium from the soil) and diet, so this bath will help replenish those levels.
The Sulphate plays a VERY important role helping with the formation of brain tissue, joint proteins and the proteins that line the wall of the digestive tract. They stimulate the pancreas to generate digestive enzymes and are thought to help detoxify the body of medicines and environmental contaminants.
Can you believe all this from just one bath. AMAZING!
If your not a bath fan or live in warmer climates (lucky you) massaging handfuls of salts over wet skin in the shower is a great detoxifier as the magnesium can reduce cellulite as it draws toxins and fluids out of the skin. Plus adding half a teaspoon of salt to your cleanser and massaging it into the skin is great for rejuvenation, hydration and to boost the skins magnesium levels.
Experts believe that bathing in Epsom salts three times a week helps you look better feel better and gain more energy.
I can honestly say that having one of these baths and a good eight hours sleep I feel sparkly the next day ♥ On a recent visit to my local chemist to stock up I found the shelf’s where bare the chemist told me-
“We only sell it in bulk now as there is such a HUGE demand for it.
She then showed me the big sacks of it behind the counter!
So it seems like all Brighton folk are at it, and for me this one is a definite Done Deal.
♥Warm lemon and water
If you can replace your hot morning beverage with warm water and lemon your on a winner an here’s just a few reasons why-
- Drinking warm lemon juice in the morning helps the body flush out toxins
- It strengthens the liver (our main organ of detoxification)
- The potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells
- It aids digestion and the production of bile
- Helps cure the common cold
- It helps reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid
- It helps maintain eye health and fights against eye problems
- It is of immense benefit to the skin and it prevents the formation of wrinkles and acne
- It helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that causes infections and diseases.
So another no brainer I think!
Boil the kettle and let it cool for a few minutes as boiling water will kill the vitamin C, and always use fresh lemon (organic if possible) not pasteurized lemon juice.
Adding lemon to your water and sipping it throughout the day is also a great way to gently aid detoxification and its alkalizing too.
The citric acid in lemons assist the cleansing process and due to its high PH citric acid is able to penetrate and break down fat molecules so its perfect if your trying to shift a few pounds. Fresh mint, lime and cucumber are also lovely to add to your water.
Herbal teas are really herbal infusions and many have been used for centuries to detoxify the body. Chamomile tea supports detoxification by flushing the gall bladder, while peppermint tea sooths the digestive tract. Here are some more of my favourites-
- Dandelion tea is a gentle diuretic and helps clean the blood
- Green tea triggers the release of germ fighting compounds
- Ginger tea contains two natural antibiotics
- Echinacea tea makes our immune cells more effective
- Burdock tea contains powerful antioxidants
- Liquorice tea can relieve constipation and has anti inflammatory properties
If you haven’t read or heard the health benefits of juicing you must have been living under a rock!
Juicing is a fantastic way to flush out unwanted toxins and keep our incredible over achieving organ the liver in optimal shape. You can pack juices with lots of detoxifying fruit and veggies like
- Cucumber, 95% water and great for flushing out toxins
- Watercress (the hero of the year!) energises cleaning enzymes in the liver
- Broccoli delivers a large dose of vitamins while neutralizing and eliminating toxins
- Citrus fruits are high in vitamin C which turns toxins into digestible material
- Beetroot is very healing for liver toxicity
- Celery loaded with minerals and helps in controlling high blood pressure
- Carrots have a wonderful cleansing action on the liver
- Apples are high in pectin, a type of fibre that bind cholesterol and heavy metals in the body, they eliminate toxic build up to cleanse the intestines.
Juicing really does offer so many life enhancing health benefits.
I’ve got a whole blog post coming on this one soon.
Take action now, GET JUICING, TEA SIPPING, AND DOWN TO SOME SERIOUS DETOX BATHING!
Your body is so precious. Always stop, unwind and take time out to care for it.
Your body is the machinery that makes your life possible.
Love it. Respect it.
Its the greatest thing you will ever own.
Have an amazing week