A question I get asked a lot…..especially this time of year is..”how can I get rid or avoid a hangover Alex?
Do you have any secrets up your sleeve”?!!
I’m afraid the answer is not really! You just have to grin and bear it!
But there are things that you can do before a big night out to maybe soften the blow a little and make that fateful morning after – a little less grim!
So here are some of my favorite natural hangover tips and cures…..
• Quality over quantity
Avoid cheap alcohol. When alcohol is broken down in the body by our poor old liver – ‘the workhorse of organs’- it produces a substance known as acetaldehyde, which is a toxic substance formed from ethanol metabolism. This is found in cheaper wines and spirits.
To avoid a nasty hangover stay away from the alcohol that contains higher levels of acetaldehyde which include whiskey, cheap red wines, fruit brandy, and dark spirits. Sticking to clear spirits is a good idea, and a good quality red wine with no sulfites added.
If you can buy organic then you are guaranteed fewer sulfites and better quality, making it much easier for the liver to break down.
• Calm the mind from Beer Fear!!
Yup, there’s nothing worse waking up after a big night out and thinking ‘what happened last night, hope I didn’t make a fool of myself!!!’ So while you’re racking your brain as to what went down, and afraid to check if there’s any evidence on Facebook – pour yourself a nice cup of chamomile tea!
It’s great for calming the mind and body and will get to work on indigestion and headaches.
• Gentle Detox
After a night on the razzle-dazzle, getting to work on cleaning out the body from all the alcohol you drank is mucho importanto!!! Ginger tea will help stimulate your metabolism which will help enhance detoxification.
Chlorella is also an excellent choice for combating a dreaded hangover and is something I would recommend taking religiously over the festive season. It contains a very high level of chlorophyll, and repairs tissues within the body, including liver cells.
Chorella is especially effective in the removal of pollutants from the body, supporting their detoxification from the body, which includes alcohol.
And I know you know this one but…..water, water, water! Waking up with a mouth as dry as a flip-flop is not cool. Operation hydration is key. Your brain is 85% water so when you have a banging headache it means your massively dehydrated
• Milk Thistle
It’s one of the oldest ones in the book! I swear by it and I definitely think it takes the edge off a hangover! I take before and after a night out to help with liver detoxification.
• BLEND – Oats + Banana + Coconut water – for a hydrating, replenishing morning after smoothie.
Bananas are loaded with potassium and magnesium which will help reduce tiredness and nausea.
Oats will help the body replenish many of the vital minerals you may have lost during your session, plus reduce acidity levels in the body.
Coconut water is packed with essential electrolytes, great to help rehydrate and soothe the stomach.
A winning combo!!
And finally, I will debunk a few hangover cure myths.
- Hair of the dog – definitely not!!! You’re actually fueling the fire and will put you in a far worse position and prolong your hangover!
- Some people swear by a big workout – rest your body and chill. After a huge night out your body doesn’t need to be pushed to any more limits! A brisk walk and a bit of air is enough.
- A good fry up – bad idea. It will add to the calorie count of the zillion drinks you had the night before. I’m afraid there is nothing special in a greasy sausage that will magic away a hangover!
- A bag of chips on the way home to soak up all the alcohol – hell no!! When you go to bed your liver and your digestion will be doing overtime! Eat well before you head out and it will help slow down the absorption of alcohol.
I hope these tips will help you through the festive season. They may not make you feel bright-eyed and bushy-tailed the morning after, but maybe feel just a little bit more human!!!
Have a wonderful week
I had quite high expectations for May but let’s face it – it’s been chilly!
I’m still layering, the duvet is still out for the evening sofa sessions – and I’m still craving warming comfort food!
So since its been so chilly – and you can’t beat a good chilli – I thought I would share my super simple and delicious Black Bean And Butternut Squash Chilli.
Black beans are full of fibre and their high nutritional content make them an excellent choice of food to protect your heart, prevent colon cancer and prevent DNA damage and gene mutation.
Butternut Squash is a good source of vitamin E, vitamin B6, folate and magnanese.
You will need..
- 1 tin of black beans 400g
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes 400g
- 400ml of vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp of smoked paprika (must be smoked as it gives it the edge!)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1tsp of rosemary
- 500g of diced butternut squash
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- When it comes to chilli I add one tsp of chilli paste but everyone has different taste buds so I will leave it up to you how hot you like it!
- Heat the oil in the pan and cook the garlic and onion for around 5 min the add the chilli paste, smoked paprika and cinnamon and cook for another 2min stirring in all the ingredients.
- Add the stock, tin of tomatoes, rosemary and bring to the boil.
- Then reduce to a medium heat add the butternut squash and beans, cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 20 -30min, until the squash is tender and the sauce has thickened. Stir in the cider vinegar.
- Serve with rice or eat on its own with some crusty bread + some rocket or coriander for garnish.
I hope you enjoy it, please let me know
Hello my beauties!
So I don’t want to be over presumptuous but it looks like this weather is here to stay!
Can we finally say we are having a ‘good old British summer’!
And as lovely as it is to be soaking up all this beautiful sun, it’s good to be mindful of protecting our skin not just from the outside but the inside too.
I’m a firm believer that it all starts from within, even when it comes to natural sun protection, so here are 4 summer skin hacks you need in your life.
Seriously though, is there anything turmeric isn’t good for!! This antioxidant and anti-inflammatory ‘rock star’ protects the epidermal skin cells from damage caused by ultraviolet B radiation. Click here to find out more healing benefits of Turmeric.
♥ Flaxseed oil
Flaxseed can protect your skin from sunburn, fight against skin cancer and will reduce additional inflammation if you get burnt (although I know you won’t because you’re a smart cookie!)
I’m a huge fan of flaxseed oil. Make it a beauty essential as it keeps your skin plump and supple, and also keeps those wrinkles at bay!!
• Pop a tea-spoon in your smoothie or use as a salad dressing oil.
Not only do the antioxidants in pomegranate help inhibit the formation of skin cancer cells, research is now showing that they could possibly pack more of a protective punch than red wine or tea. Get them right at the top of your wellness shopping list!!!
Almonds are packed with vitamin E, which defends against sun damage and is quite often added to skin creams. They are rich in querctin which protects the skin against UV damage and the breakdown of collagen that causes wrinkles.
• Soak them for 4-8 hours to activate them and this will help the body absorb all the maximum goodness.
Have a great week and you can check out my other post on summer skin care here
Stay sun safe
P.S Dont forget to come over and say hi on Instagram, click the link at the top of the page.
I adore September and the autumnal vibes..
I think it’s my favourite month of the year.
This month also marks the three years my blog The Simple Life has being live.
For so long I had wanted to create a sacred little online space, a place I could share my healing journey, my story and connect with beautiful souls just like YOU, but of course there was that little voice in my head..
Your not a writer
Your not a cook
And your definitely not some spiritual guru!! Who’s gonna read your blog!!
So yes, there was plenty of self doubt and procrastination going on – but thankfully I focused on what my heart was telling me to do. I pushed the publish button and launched myself into the online world and I’m so glad I’m here…and you are too!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for subscribing to my sacred online space and coming with me on this little soul project of mine. I’m honoured to have you on board ♥
If there is something stirring deep within you, something you want to create or release into the world all I’m going to say to you is…just do it.
The clock is ticking, time moves fast, procrastination is a buzz kill. The world is waiting for YOU.
Every adventure and creative venture is slowly guiding you home ♥
Sending lots of love and virtual hugs
Hi there, I'm Alex.
Welcome to my blog, my sacred space
I hope landing here will inspire you to live the life you want to live, follow your desires and what your truly passionate about, and encourage you to make choices with conscious intention to live a healthy vibrant life, the life that you deserve.
I'm so glad you're here.
JOIN THE TRIBE
for exclusive advice, updates and your FREE copy of my eBook "Staying healthy in a busy, toxic world"