A question I get asked a lot…..especially this time of year is..”how can I get rid or avoid a hangover Alex?
Do you have any secrets up your sleeve”?!!
I’m afraid the answer is not really! You just have to grin and bear it!
But there are things that you can do before a big night out to maybe soften the blow a little and make that fateful morning after – a little less grim!
So here are some of my favorite natural hangover tips and cures…..
• Quality over quantity
Avoid cheap alcohol. When alcohol is broken down in the body by our poor old liver – ‘the workhorse of organs’- it produces a substance known as acetaldehyde, which is a toxic substance formed from ethanol metabolism. This is found in cheaper wines and spirits.
To avoid a nasty hangover stay away from the alcohol that contains higher levels of acetaldehyde which include whiskey, cheap red wines, fruit brandy, and dark spirits. Sticking to clear spirits is a good idea, and a good quality red wine with no sulfites added.
If you can buy organic then you are guaranteed fewer sulfites and better quality, making it much easier for the liver to break down.
• Calm the mind from Beer Fear!!
Yup, there’s nothing worse waking up after a big night out and thinking ‘what happened last night, hope I didn’t make a fool of myself!!!’ So while you’re racking your brain as to what went down, and afraid to check if there’s any evidence on Facebook – pour yourself a nice cup of chamomile tea!
It’s great for calming the mind and body and will get to work on indigestion and headaches.
• Gentle Detox
After a night on the razzle-dazzle, getting to work on cleaning out the body from all the alcohol you drank is mucho importanto!!! Ginger tea will help stimulate your metabolism which will help enhance detoxification.
Chlorella is also an excellent choice for combating a dreaded hangover and is something I would recommend taking religiously over the festive season. It contains a very high level of chlorophyll, and repairs tissues within the body, including liver cells.
Chorella is especially effective in the removal of pollutants from the body, supporting their detoxification from the body, which includes alcohol.
And I know you know this one but…..water, water, water! Waking up with a mouth as dry as a flip-flop is not cool. Operation hydration is key. Your brain is 85% water so when you have a banging headache it means your massively dehydrated
• Milk Thistle
It’s one of the oldest ones in the book! I swear by it and I definitely think it takes the edge off a hangover! I take before and after a night out to help with liver detoxification.
• BLEND – Oats + Banana + Coconut water – for a hydrating, replenishing morning after smoothie.
Bananas are loaded with potassium and magnesium which will help reduce tiredness and nausea.
Oats will help the body replenish many of the vital minerals you may have lost during your session, plus reduce acidity levels in the body.
Coconut water is packed with essential electrolytes, great to help rehydrate and soothe the stomach.
A winning combo!!
And finally, I will debunk a few hangover cure myths.
- Hair of the dog – definitely not!!! You’re actually fueling the fire and will put you in a far worse position and prolong your hangover!
- Some people swear by a big workout – rest your body and chill. After a huge night out your body doesn’t need to be pushed to any more limits! A brisk walk and a bit of air is enough.
- A good fry up – bad idea. It will add to the calorie count of the zillion drinks you had the night before. I’m afraid there is nothing special in a greasy sausage that will magic away a hangover!
- A bag of chips on the way home to soak up all the alcohol – hell no!! When you go to bed your liver and your digestion will be doing overtime! Eat well before you head out and it will help slow down the absorption of alcohol.
I hope these tips will help you through the festive season. They may not make you feel bright-eyed and bushy-tailed the morning after, but maybe feel just a little bit more human!!!
Have a wonderful week